The area was first settled in the 1860s when pastoralists started grazing sheep near Round Swamp. With its mild temperatures and good rainfall (annual average of 510 mm) it was ideal sheep country. The town site is located on the Great Southern Railway line. The siding was established in 1891 and shortly afterward the government made land available for agricultural purposes in the area. The town name, originally called Round Swamp, was changed when the town was gazetted in 1893 and is named after a town six miles from the Hon JA Wright’s birthplace in England.